Sunday 26 May 2013

Cheshire (Straight) Lines

Yesterday day was a long and quite boring 15 miles. I trod the Southport end of the TransPennine Trail which runs form Aintree to Marine Drive. I opted to walk from Old Roan s access to the path is easier there when using public transport so off I went on the 9.30 train out of Ormskirk.
It's not hard to get onto the track and despite the early hour there were quite a few folks about. This trail also forms part of route 62 of the national cycle network (it's the anorak in me I have to give you these facts)so there were a few bike bells warning me to get out of the way and signs telling horse riders cyclists and walkers alike to play nicely. The route runs pretty close to houses between Old Roan and Maghull so there were parents with babies and 'mature' cyclists all using the track for a constitutional.
Arriving at the Cheshire Lines section was different. For one thing this is a long straight path with a few intersecting footpaths but essentially it's a way from A to B. for me though it brought back som memories. Before reaching my current not very elevated status I used to work for West Lancs council in the leisure department. Some time about the turn of the century (don't press me for an exact date) the idea of the Trans Pennines Trail was mooted and Sustrans organised a cross country trek for willing volunteers who took nine days to walk from the east coast to the west. Day eight saw them cross our path and I was the officer charged with the task of organising the cream tea and brass band. They thanked us for that as, they said, no one else had really bothered. The route I was taking was their day nine. I can imagine that after their slog across country this would have been a disappointing end, unless of course there was ice cream! Everything is better with ice cream.
The whole route took me just under five and a half hours. I learned many things. My hands and feet swell significantly if I don't have a lengthy rest stop. (1/2 hour) I must cover the back of my neck so it doesn't burn (French foreign legion type hat will be bought) and long straight paths walked alone are boring, in reality as well as in life.













No comments:

Post a Comment